This post is brought to you by the letters D * A * D*
Dad, Thank you for caring about our health and encouraging us to get our flu shot in October. Even though we were all obstinate and procrastinated until last week. Thank you for never giving up on us and loving us even when we aren’t as quick to respond as we should be. ~Love your family.
FLU…its out there and today is day 2 of my husband fight with the dreaded virus. It came up like a big sneak and put him flat on his back in a matter of hours. High fever, chills, aches, dry cough, tired…blah! We, of course, got him started on Tamiflu immediately and homemade turkey soup (thanks to dear old D A D Paul for helping me make that over thanksgiving!). He is sleeping lots and lots and as for me…well I’ve started a research project and have come to many hypothesis and theories for fighting the flu!
Here they are:
1) get the flu shot…yep D A D was right, we should have done it in October! but its not to late for you…go get one!
2) Vitamin C….I’m in favor of everyone taking a minimum of 1-2,000mg of Vit C daily in the winter months! When a virus is going around, I triple that or even quadruple triple it! Mega-dosing vitamin C is my favorite cold buster and immune booster.
3) Other various supplements…some of my favorites right now are Apple Cider Vinegar, Turmeric, Ginseng, collagen and Zinc.
4) Green Smoothies…no better way to fill your body with good antioxidants then a bunch of greens blended with some berries and a dash of ginger root tossed in!
5) Probiotic…did you know that your gut is the most important part of your immune system? If it’s not healthy then you are opening yourself up to all sorts of problems. Get a good probiotic and take it religiously! When you think about it, that part of your body is open at both ends and exposed to lots of toxins…yuck! It better be prepared to fight, fill it with the good bacteria! We live in a battle of good vs. evil even in our bodies!
6) Essential Oils. I am a Young Living Essential Oils distributor. This is not a sales pitch because I’ve never sold the oils, I just use my distributorship to stock my own oil stash. I LIVE by the Thieves essential oil and household cleaner. I diffuse it in my house and it cleans the air! I know we are healthier because of it! I also use Melrose for a sore throat, Raven for lungs and breathing, Exodus II on the bottom of our feet to fight viruses and strengthen our immune system, Peppermint oil for stomach upset or on the feet to break a fever. Lavender is beautiful to smell as well. Oils are used for so many different purposes…if nothing else everything just smells better.
7) Lastly, I found a new remedy to the flu/cold! HYDROGEN PEROXIDE in your ears. I have been reading studies concerning flu/cold virus entering and proliferating through your ears. The idea is that if you start feeling cold/flu symptoms, put 3 drops of hydrogen peroxide in your ear and let it bubble and crackle all the nasty bugs out. Let it sit there for 5-10 minutes or until the bubbling stops. Then repeat every 2 hours until there is no more bubbling at all and/or your symptoms are gone. As you can imagine I have had my kids laying with H2O2 in their ears since I came across this information! No Flu bug is going to make their way into our bodies through our ears. It only took me 3 times before the bubbling stopped in my ears. Kids will get #3 treatment this evening.
Truth be told, I don’t really know if any of this really works. I do know our family is healthier then it was 4 years ago but a lot has changed. We are all less stressed and our home is much happier and thus much healthier. I will say that whether or not these things ward off the flu or the cold at least we are doing all we can to be healthy. We wash our hands too and give lots of hugs to each other.
I pray that your family is healthy and happy this season. May the flu bug forever be banned from your house and for goodness sakes….listen to your dad!